Lemon meringue, apple, pumpkin, blueberry, shoe fly pie – my grandmother made them all and was rightly very proud of her masterpieces. She was so eager to get feedback that before a guest could finish swallowing the first bite, she would lean in and demand “How much would you pay for a pie like that?!” Her recipe is easy and never fails. You too can be a proud pie maker.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sunflower or safflower oil
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- Mix flour, sugar and salt.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and knead with hands.
- Press into pie pan and pinch around perimeter.
- Fill as desired and bake at 340 degrees for 40 minutes.