Love having this on ccccold Sunday afternoons, as we watch the Pats… win!
Penny Saver’s Chicken Chili
- 6 boneless skinned chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 onions chopped
- 6 tsp garlic minced, or
- 3/4 tsp organic minced garlic
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper minced
- 1/4 cup organic chili powder
- 3 tbsp organic ground cumin
- 1 tbsp organic oregano dried
- 2 teaspoons organic ground coriander
- 1 28- oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 1/2- oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 15 1/2- oz cans kidney beans rinsed, drained
- 1 15 1/2- oz can black beans rinsed, drained
- grated cheddar cheese we like hot habanero cheddar
- loaf of crusty rustic bread or sour dough
Place chicken in large skillet. Add enough water to cover chicken, and bring to boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until cooked (about 10-15 minutes). Drain chicken; cool slightly. Coarsely shred meat. (Can be made a day ahead, covered and refrigerated.)
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, green pepper, red pepper, and jalapeño. Saute 1 minute. Mix in chili powder, and oregano. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to simmer, breaking tomatoes with wooden spoon. Simmer over medium/low heat for about 1 hour to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
Add beans and shredded chicken to chili. Simmer uncovered until chili thickens, stirring occasionally, (about 30 minutes).
Ladle chili into bowls. Top with shredded cheese. Serve with thickly sliced bread (and/or carrots and celery).