I grew up picking blueberries in the summertime. We’d make pies, muffins, and fruitbowl. My favorite was always pie. If I could manage to hide a piece, I liked to save it and have it for breakfast. To this day, every time I eat a blueberry, I think of my summers on the lake.
- 1 double pie crust
- 4 cups wild blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest (or 2 teaspoons ground organic lemon peel)
- 1 Teaspoon organic ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon organic ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 Tablespoons butter cut into small pats
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix sugar, flour, lemon peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt together.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries.
- Line pie pan with pie crust.
- Fill crust with berries and dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust and crimp edges.
- Cut heat vents in top of pie—we always put the initial of the smallest child on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 425°, reduce heat to 350° and bake for 30 more minutes.