The red and green peppers give this egg casserole a nice Christmas flair. Because you can make it ahead, it is great for Christmas brunch. Just pop it in the oven, turn on Nat King Cole and enjoy it with those you love.
Festive Egg & Cheese Strata
- 3 tbsp butter
- 10 slices white sandwich bread
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 3 cups milk
- 1 onion grated
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp organic ground black pepper
- 1 tsp organic ground yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cholula sauce
- 1/2 medium red pepper minced
- 1/2 medium green pepper minced
- 1/2 tsp organic ground paprika
- chopped fresh parley for garnish
Butter sides and bottom of a 9x12 oblong pan.
Beat eggs, add milk, onions, salt, pepper, mustard, and Cholula sauce, set aside.
Spread butter on bread slices, cut into bite size chunks.
Sprinkle 1/2 of the bread into pan and top with 1/2 of the cheese, repeat.
Pour egg mixture over bread and cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or at least 6 hours).
Sprinkle minced peppers (save some for final garnish) and paprika on the top and bake at 350°F for 1 hour.
Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley, minced red pepper, and minced green pepper and serve warm from the oven.