Herb Marinated Caprese
The simple step of infusing the olive oil with dried thyme, oregano and red pepper flakes before drizzling it on the mozzarella adds verve to this lovely, aesthetically pleasing classic from the island of Capri.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 lb mozzarella fresh
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp organic thyme dried
- 1 tbsp organic oregano dried
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 tsp organic ground black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp organic red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup basil fresh, cut into thin strips
- 4 Tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar preferably white but red is fine
- 1 baguette thinly sliced
Slice mozzarella and tomatoes in similar thicknesses.
In a small bowl, stir oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper together with olive oil.
Pour herb-infused olive oil over mozzarella and let sit for at least one hour.
On large platter, arrange tomatoes and mozzarella in layers. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar and garnish with shredded fresh basil.
Serve with sliced baguettes.