Vivid green and red make this a colorful side dish for holiday dinner. The confluence of smoky bacon, velvety feta and sweet currants play perfectly against the bitter greens.
Red Swiss Chard with Bacon, Feta and Currants
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 4 -6
- 4 strips thick-cut smoked bacon diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 tsps organic ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp organic ground cayenne
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp organic ground black peppercorns to taste
- 2 cups Red Swiss Chard
- 12 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 cup feta cheese diced or crumbled into small pieces
- 3 tbsp currants
In heavy pan, cook bacon until fat renders. (Add a drop or two of olive oil if it sticks.)
Sprinkle cumin, cayenne, sea salt and pepper on onion and continue cooking until bacon is crispy.
Add red swiss chard and saute briefly.
Add chicken broth and currants. (Currants will plump up nicely.)
Cook with top on at low heat for 15-20 minutes.
Gently stir in feta so it melts slightly.