Simple and satisfying.
2 large avocados
Juice of 2 limes
½ teaspoon organic ground cumin
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
Small bunch of cilantro, chopped
Pomegranate seeds for garnish (optional)
Mash roughly with potato masher, top with pomegranate seeds and serve with chips.
This recipe is from The Soup Bible, by Debra Mayhew, which is one of the best soup cookbooks I’ve found. There are three recipes in this cookbook which are outstanding. The other two are Thai Chicken and Noodle Soup and Seafood and Sausage Gumbo.
The parsnips and lemon give this soup a slight twist on the traditional chicken soup. Whenever anyone gets a cold, I make them this soup. Continue reading
I’ve been known to add curry powder to my eggs just to change things up a bit.
Curry blends can vary dramatically. Turmeric is one of the main ingredients in many curry blends, including ours. (Actually, curry powder can successfully be substituted when turmeric is called for in most recipes.) I find that someone asks about turmeric at pretty much every farmers’ market. They aren’t sure what it tastes like, but they want to buy it. I tell them that if they like curry, they probably like turmeric.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 oz extra sharp cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon organic curry powder
- Saute onion, tomato, and mushrooms in oil over medium heat.
- Beat eggs with curry powder and a splash of water.
- Add eggs to pan.
- Sprinkle cilantro and cheese over eggs.
- Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.