Green Lentil Soup with Spinach and Coconut Milk
High on spice, flavor and nutrition. This soup has a rich broth flavored with cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, turmeric, and cayenne.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour 5 minutes
Total Time 2 hours 15 minutes
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 carrots peeled and minced
- 2 stalks celery minced
- 1 onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tsp organic thyme dried
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cayenne
- 2 tsp organic turmeric
- 1/4 tsp organic ground coriander
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups green lentils rinsed
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp organic whole cloves
- 1/8 tsp organic fresh ground nutmeg
- organic ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- more water if needed
Melt the coconut oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, celery, and carrots and sauté 5 more minutes.
Reduce the heat and add the thyme, turmeric, coriander and cayenne. Continue cooking for another 2 or 3 minutes.
Pour in the vegetable stock and lentils bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes. If soup gets too thick, add more water to pot as the lentils cook.
Add the spinach, coconut milk, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and pepper, and stir until well combined, and let simmer for another 15 minutes