Healthy, fast, economical, tasty and adaptable to individual preferences – this satisfies every criterion for a weekday family dinner. Set out the turkey mixture, salad, chips, guacamole, corn muffins, sour cream, and bottles of hot sauce and let everyone craft their own combinations. By using mild salsa for the mixture and providing hot sauces for the more adventurous, everyone’s taste buds can be accommodated. Credit to my sister Karen in Rumson, New Jersey for the original idea. She makes it for guests so they can help themselves while she chases after her kids.
Ingredients for Turkey Mixture
- I tablespoon olive oil
- I pound lean ground turkey meat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon organic ground cumin
- 1teaspoon organic ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon organic ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon organic chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- I can chopped green chilis
- 1 cup mild red salsa (in a pinch I have used ketchup and no one noticed!)
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded or grated coarsely
Directions for Turkey Mixture:
- Start sautéing red pepper and onion in olive oil.
- Add in turkey, spices, salt and pepper.
- When turkey is browned and broken up, add canned green chilie and sauté one minute.
- Add salsa and chopped cilantro.
- Shred cheese on top of meat and put top on to keep warm.
Ingredients for Corn Muffins:
- 1 package Jiffy Cornbread
- ½ cup milk
- I egg
- ½ cup canned or frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons of honey
Directions for Corn Muffins:
- Butter muffin tins.
- Prepare per package directions but mix corn and honey into batter for texture and sweetness.
- Crumble on top of salad and turkey mixture.
Ingredients for Salad:
- Head or bag of lettuce
- Lime Cilantro Salad Dressing
- Packaged (I prefer Wholly Guacamole) or make your own guacamole
- Sour Cream
- Cilantro, chopped
- Tabasco and other favorite hot sauces
- Corn chips (Tostitos brand Scoops are fun for the kids to “shovel” with and have zero transfat)