My friend Caroline left a batch of this granola on my doorstep in a pretty glass jar with her own cute label. The kids and I nibbled on it morning, noon and night and emptied the jar in three days. So I needed her recipe to replenish the jar. here it is. Feel free to experiment. Add shredded coconut, dried cranberries … live it up.
Yummy Crunchy Healthy Granola
- 6 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup wheat germ
- 1-1 1/2 cups chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, or cashews)
- 1 tbsp organic ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp organic fresh ground nutmeg or
- 2 tsp organic Apple Pie spice (in place of the cinnamon and nutmeg)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2-1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup raisins or cranberries
Preheat oven to 300°F.
Mix all the dry ingredients together except the coconut and raisins, then add the oil and honey.
Spread the mixture on two baking sheets (I use a little cooking spray so it doesn't stick).
Bake for 30 minutes but check every 10 minutes and stir it up a little. Add the coconut for the last 10 minutes of baking.
After you take it out of the oven, add the raisins
If you like it a little darker, add an extra five minutes but not much more—it burns easily. It's soft when you take it out but gets crunchy as it cools. If you like chucks don't touch or stir until it's completely cooled, then use a spatula to scrape up. Store in an air tight container.